Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 UNFORGETTABLE Asha Bhosle songs

Super Moderator

85 UNFORGETTABLE Asha Bhosle songs

Asha Bhosle, who turns 85 on September 8, has sung some of the finest Hindi film songs in her long and illustrious career.

Her voice reminds me of tiramisu.

Rich, moist, potent, silky and sublime, just like the delicious Italian dessert (which quite literally means pick-me-up). Asha Bhosle's exquisite rendition impacts the soul of her listeners in equal measure.

The little girl who would climb up the branch of a tree to escape her mother's scolding hardly realised how her impish temperament would someday breathe life into songs and turn them into sensations.

In a career spanning over half a century filled with music and milestones, one of India's most loved singers has battled many a personal crisis but never lost either her magic or her masti.

On her 85th birthday, I wish her the same happiness in life that her songs have brought to mine and celebrate this milestone with 85 of my most favourite Asha Bhosle songs.

Super Moderator
    1. Mud Mud Ke Na Dekh, Shree 420 (1955): This lilting Shankar-Jaikishen creation drew attention to Asha's poise.
    2. Chanda Mama Door Ke, Vachan (1955): A childhood favourite, it's amazing just how many generations have grown up enjoying her mellifluous narration.
    3. Eena Meena Deeka, Aasha (1957): Aasha is a frolicking rom-com, best remembered for Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle taking turns to alternately amuse with the smash, breathless gibberish jabber, Eena Meena Deeka.
    4. Chhod Do Aanchal, Paying Guest (1957): There's such ada in her infectious *Aah* Chhod Do, it's impossible to let go.
    5. Maang Ke Saath Tumhara, Naye Daur (1957): The singer teams up with Mohammad Rafi to exude village belle-next-door sweetness against the rhythmic beats of a galloping horse.
    6. Haal Kaisa Jai Janaab Ka, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (1958): Few singers can compliment the quirk of Kishore Kumar like Asha. And the sprightly duet Haal Kaisa Hai Jaanab Ka bears testimony to this fact.
    7. Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya, Phagun (1958): The sheer exuberance of her delivery matches the determination of the snake charmer's ubiquitous been (flute) in this O P Nayyar classic.