To the mother who NEVER stopped fighting for her daughter,

First of all, I just want let you know that you mean the world to me and that I love you unconditionally. I know I don’t show my love often, but I love you more than these words could ever express. You are, and will always be, the most important woman in my life, always and forever. I want to thank you for the unconditional love you have showered on me all these years, for all those sleepless nights you spent taking care of me when I wasn’t well, for being my biggest supporter and my biggest critic and for being the most beautiful mother a child could get.

You have always pushed me to do my best, to excel in every field of work. From teaching me numbers and alphabets, to waking up at six in the morning just to make sure I never left for work with an empty stomach, you are the ONLY one who has been there for me at every stage of life, supporting me like a rock and loving me when I needed it the most. Ensuring the best education for me, showering me with the best gifts on my birthdays, believing in my dreams and giving them (and me) wings – you’ve continued fighting for me and never made me feel any less loved or valued than my brothers.

I want to thank you for teaching me the most valuable lessons of life, it’s because of those lessons that I am proud to be the woman I am today. You always taught me the importance of being emotionally and financially independent, which I think is one of the basic necessities to live in today’s world. I also want to thank you for, despite being engulfed in a sexist and chauvinist environment, never letting anyone hurt me or my self-esteem in any way. Right from the get-go, you made it your mission to fight for me and not let anyone treat me like a lesser entity just because of my gender. You made sure my brothers were taught that their gender does not entitle them to anything over their sisters, and that I always knew just how valuable I am. It’s been an honor to have a mother like you, who never fails to surprise me with her strength and grace every time.

Lastly, I wanted to apologize for all the times I made you upset, for the times I couldn’t live up to your expectations (though I tried my best to make you happy) and for the times I let you down. I promise you to be the best version of myself, to make you proud and to become the daughter that a mother like you deserves. I also want to remind you that I love you the most and you will always be my most prized possession.

With lots of love,

Your strong daughter.